5 Things to Know for State Wrestling Tournament
This will be a busy weekend for Owatonna's wrestlers and their fans and families. The Huskies compete at the state team tournament on Thursday, February 27. Four individuals will then go after medals on Friday and Saturday, February 28-29. The tournament is held at Xcel Energy Center in downtown St. Paul. Mother Nature seems to be going soft on the weather with no storms in the forecast during the tournament. Here are a few things to help make your enjoyment of the tournament go easier.
1. Advance Tickets To avoid the ticket lines at the X, stop at Owatonna High School Tuesday or Wednesday from 11 am to 1 pm to purchase advance sale tickets for Thursday's opening session. Go to the main OHS entrance, outside the auditorium (door #6).
The cost is $16 for adults and $10 for students. Cash or check only, no credit cards. These advance sale tickets are only good for the first session (two matches) on Thursday. Tickets are also available at Xcel Energy.
2. The Schedule The Huskies face Forest Lake at 9 am Thursday, February 27. If they win they wrestle at 1 pm in the championship semifinals. If they drop their opener, they wrestle right away again at 11 am. Owatonna is the fourth seed and the Rangers are the fifth seed.
Owatonna has to win at least once in the first session to compete in the later session on Thursday. Third place and consolation finals are at 5 pm. The state championship matches in all classes take place concurrently at 7 pm.
3. Bag Policy The Xcel Energy Center has a strict bag policy. Clear totes, plastic storage bags, and single compartment cinch bags are permissible. Diaper bags, purses, printed plastic bags, and backpacks are not allowed.
Small clutch purses are allowed, but cannot exceed 5 x 8 inches.
For information on parking, use this Xcel Energy Center website.
4. Individual Tournament Four Owatonna individuals qualified for that portion of the state meet on Friday and hopefully Saturday. Individual wrestling on Friday beings with Class A, followed by Class AA and Class AAA. After a break action resumes at 4 pm with the quarterfinals, following the same order of classes.
On Saturday all classes begin at 9 am.
Ticket prices for adults are $16 for a single session, $30 for the daily pass, and $90 for a season book. For students, the prices are $10 for a single session, $18 for a daily pass, and $54 for the season pass.
5. Where to Hear the Action AM 1390 KRFO will provide live coverage of the Huskies' team matches on Thursday, February 27. For the individual tournament, KRFO will present the entire matches for wrestlers from Owatonna, Medford, Westfield, and NRHEG. See the full list of southern MN wrestlers at state.