What to do Wednesday at the Steele County Fair
Pet a snake. Dance with a dinosaur. Catch a free concert. Eat a corndog or pronto pup. The choices for Wednesday, August 18 at the 2021 Steele County Free Fair are pretty limitless. Tuesday's opening of the fair featured big crowds and a sense of relief at being able to get together for the annual event which fell victim to the pandemic in 2020.
The new Great Outdoors Center features a variety of reptiles and insects. Fair manager Scott Kozelka got up close and personal with a seven-and-a-quarter-foot long boa constrictor. Handler Barry said they call her Steely, matching the name of the longtime fair mascot.
Fairgoers crowded around the Jurassic Kingdom show in the KRFO Townsquare. Making its debut in Steele County this year, the display features life-sized dinosaur puppets performing and posing for the fans. It is free to attend.
Hundreds of people turned their Mega Ride ticket for a wristband to ride all the rides they can throughout the fair.
The Hero Bean Bag Toss (or is it called corn hole) is new at the KRFO booth at this year's fair. Stop by at 5 pm each day through Saturday to cheer on the predetermined contestants.
4-H students are happy to put their projects on display again this year. See their efforts in the animal barns and in the 4-H Building.
These two are a true definition of the term cowboys as they play among, around, and on calves at the fair.
A few of Wednesday's highlights are below. (See the full schedule.)
- 4-H Swine Show in the Swine Show Arena, 7:30 am
- 4-H Horse Exhibition Show in the Radel Pavilion, 9 am
- Shasta Kings on the United Prairie Bank (UPB) Stage, 11 am
- Women's Nail Driving at the KRFO booth, 11 am
- Midway opens at 12 pm
- Tracy Mauer on the Village of Yesteryear stage, 1 pm
- Deb Anthony on UPB stage, 1:30 pm
- Open Class Sheep Show in Foundation Building, 2 pm
- Peter Klug at Village stage, 3 pm
- Hero Bean Bag Toss at KRFO booth, 5 pm
- 4-H Beef Show at Cattle Arena, 5:30 pm
- Nate and Virginia at Village stage, 6 pm
- Travis Thamert in the Grandstand (free show) 6:30 pm
- Deal or No Deal on Reseland Stage, 7 pm
- Tim Sigler on UPB Stage, 7:30 pm
- Jason Pritchett in the Grandstand (free show) 8 pm
- Johnny Holm Band in the Beer Garden, 8:30 pm
How Many Animals Will You See at the Steele Co. Fair?
DREAM HOUSE: Perfect Minnesota Home For Sale Features Brewery and Ice Rink
12 Celebrities Who Have Been Patients at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota