Bethlehem Academy Girls Win Foul Infested Game
The Faribault Bethlehem Academy Cardinals traveled to Cleveland Thursday and came home with a hard fought 54-51 win.
Clippers junior 5'4 Kaylee Karels poured in 31 points, 16 at the half. She scored 10 points about 10 minutes into the game. Cleveland had a double digit lead in the first half but the Cardinals whittled away to trail 24-17 at the half.
The Clippers had 12 points off 14 BA turnovers in the first half. The Cardinals turned it around in the second half scoring 9 points off 9 Cleveland turnovers in the second half.
50 total fouls were whistled in the contest. Two Clippers and one Cardinals player fouled out of the game.
It's not too often you see a team score 23 points at the free throw line and lose. Cleveland was 23 of 41 at the free throw line while BA finished 13 of 24 from the charity stripe.
The Clippers had 5 field goals the second half. Finished the game with only one other player getting double digits. Sophmore 5'4 Greta Hahn had 11 points, going 7 of 10 from the free throw line.
Bethlehem Academy extended their lead to 8 points only to see Cleveland get back in it by making free throws toward the end of the game.
The Cardinals had balanced scoring with four players in double figures. Malecha's Auto Body Crunch Time Faribault Players of the Game were freshman Ana Demars, junior Lindsay Hanson, freshman Anna Cohen.
The Cashwise Foods and Pharmacy of Owatonna Delivery of the Game went to junor Kate Trump with a cold blooded three point basket when Cleveland had whittled the lead down to 1 point late in the contest.
Trump also hit a crucial free throw in the final couple minutes of the game.
Demars came off the bench to score all 14 of her points in the second half. Classmate Anna Cohen had 13 points. Hanson scored 9 of her 11 points in the first half. Trump finished with 10 points.
BA is now 4-5, Cleveland fell to 3-9 overall.
I was told tte Clippers new gym and building addition cost approximately 20 million dollars to complete.
Other Girls Basketball scores from Thursday, January 6, 2022:
- Red Wing 76 Faribault Falcons 28
- Randolph 76 Schaeffer Academy 26
- Medford 47 Blooming Prairie 41
- Maple River 61 LeSueur-Henderson 31
- Hayfield 84 Southland 26
- Houston 58 Mabel-Canton 36
- Providence Academy 60 Jordan 24
- Cannon Falls 66 Kingsland 28
- Mankato West 60 Albert Lea 44
- Mankato East 36 John Marshall 31
- Rochester Century 63 Winona 38
- Austin 75 Northfield 43
- Fillmore Central 55 Lanesboro 40
- Lewiston-Altura 47 Triton 40
Boys basketball scores from the area:
- Red Wing 55 Faribault 52
- Kenyon-Wanamingo 83 Bethlehem Academy 45
- Winona 64 Rochester Century 56
- Northfield 61 Austin 59
- Mankato West 80 Albert Lea 49
- Kasson-Mantorville 76 New Ulm 73
- Plainview-Elgin-Millville 81 Triton 73
- Stewartville 78 Zumbrota-Mazeppa 45
- Blooming Prairie 68 Medford 67
- LeSueur-Henderson 58 Tri-City United 43
- Lake City 75 Pine Island 42
- Leroy-Ostrander 71 Lanesboro 69
- Lakeville South 66 Prior Lake 61
- Shakopee 84 Burnsville 48
- Delano 72 New Prague 69
- Rosemount 66 Farmington 58
- Eastview 81 Providence Academy 81-48
- Jordan 77 Breck 52
- St. Charles vs Caledonia postponed
Boys hockey scores from the area:
- Mankato West 5 Faribault 4
- Owatonna 2 Rochester Mayo 2 (OT)
- Red Wing 6 Austin 2
- Waseca 4 Minnesota River 2
- Eastview 5 Minnetonka 3
- Eden Prairie 6 Prior Lake 4
- Shakopee 6 New Prague 1
- Dodge County 3 Rochester Lourdes 2
- John Marshall vs Northfield (postponed)
Girls hockey scores from area:
- Mankato East 4 Mankato West 3
- Northfield 4 Rochester Century 1
- Austin 9 Red Wing 3
- Albert Lea 7 Winona 3
- Prior Lake 4 Lakeville North 3
- Apple Valley 6 Eagan 3
- Burnsville 2 Eastview 1
- Mayo vs Owatonna Postponed
- Rosemount 4 Farmington 2
- Lakeville South 6 Shakopee 1
- New Prague vs Orono Postponed
We had some fun Thursday night asking listeners to submit a name for the new Cleveland Gym. I enjoy doing this in area gyms that have no name like the Castle at Kenyon-Wanamingo. Bomber's Hangar in Cannon Falls, Cave in Byron, Panther's Lair in Pine Island, Cougars Den in Zumbrota, etc...
Here were the suggestions. I had a couple and my engineer Paul Shead suggested a couple. The rest came from listeners either by phone or the KDHL app.
- The Dock
- The Marina
- The Boatyard
- The Breakwater
- The Bay
- The Porthole
- The Blackhole (school colors are orange and black)
- The Shipyard
- The Yacht Club
- The Safe Harbor
- The Inlet
- The Deep Harbor
- The Mast
- The Brig (I was informed after the broadcast the janitors have this name for the facility.)
Which is your favorite?
This is interesting to read.
LOOK: Food history from the year you were born