Flom Nearly Perfect in Kenyon-Wanamingo Softball Win
Josie Flom, junior, pitcher for Kenyon-Wanamingo was one out away from a perfect game Tuesday in a 1-0 win over United South Central in Wanamingo.
The Section 1A West Subsection game was graced with perfect weather. A great crowd saw both pitchers dealing.
Moriah Anderson, freshman, pitcher for the Rebels nearly matched the Knights performance in the classic pitcher's duel.
Flom retired 20 consecutive batters before #3 hitter for United South Central, Molly Wegner hit an infield single with two outs in the top of the 7th inning.
Flom recorded her 16th strikeout to end the game and secure the victory. Staying in the Winner's Bracket of the wild 1A West Subsection.
Anderson also recorded 16 strikeouts for the 18 outs K-W had.
The difference was a towering opposite field home run by Flom with one out in the bottom of the 4th inning. It came on a 1-2 count.
Flom nearly clubbed a second home run in the 6th inning with a runner on base. Her sky ball was caught at the left field fence by Wegner to end the inning.
Flom appeared locked in from the start. She had only two 3 ball counts in the game, throwing 86 pitches, 61 strikes.
Flom was 16 of 22 in first pitch strikes. United South Central did not hit a single ball to the outfield.
The Knights had their first baserunner in the second inning when sophomore shortstop Allina Mendoza was walked. She would successfully steal second base before a strikeout ended the inning.
All Kenyon-Wanamingo outs in the first three inning were strikeouts.
The hardest hit ball by United South Central was a 0-1 count hammer by #7 hitter Riley Getchell, junior, to start the third inning.
Getcjhell tattooed it right to Flom who deflected the ball to third baseman Emma Paulson, senior, who quickly threw to first baseman Sidney Majerus, senior to keep the then perfect game in order.
Majerus had a 0-2 count hit in the 6th inning for K-W in front of Flom's near second round tripper that ended the inning.
Anderson threw 92 pitches, 65 strikes with 12 first pitch strikes to 21 K-W batters.
The Rebels record fell to 12-6 while the Knights improved to 8-9 on the season.
USC goes to the Elimination bracket Thursday at 5:30 against the Hayfield Vikings who nearly knocked off top seed Bethlehem Academy in Faribault.
Josie Flom, senior, BA, got a walk-off hit scoring Sarah Tobin, 8th grade, in a 1-0 win over Hayfield.
The Cardinals and Knights play for the Subsection title in Austin at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 25, 2023. The winner will advance to the Section and not have to play again until Tuesday, May 30, 2023.
Two wins from the Section 1A title and a trip to State June 8, 2023. in North Mankato.
Bethlehem Academy defeated Hayfield 8-1 last Thursday in Hayfield but had trouble scoring in Tuesday's game.
KDHL Radio will be broadcasting the contest Thursday in Austin but will not broadcast the 7:30 p.m. scheduled Elimination bracket game between the loser of the Winner's Bracket game and winner of USC/Hayfield Elimination Bracket contest.
In Section 1A East Subsection games Tuesday the road teams were both victorious.
Defending Section Champion Wabasha-Kellogg out slugged Houston 15-10 while Goodhue edged top seed Southland 5-4 to advance to the East Subsection title game scheduled for 4:30 p.m. at Rushford-Peterson High School.
The winner of that game will play the West Subsection Champion in Section Semifinal action 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 30, 2023 in Austin with the winner one game from a Championship and berth into the State Tournament.
There were more upsets in Section Tournaments Tuesday.
Section 1AA A:
- Stewartville 7 Faribault 2 (The Falcons play loser of Winona vs. Stewartville game 5:30 p.m. on Thursday in Austin.) Tigers take on top seed Winona 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Austin. Winhawks received a bye and got no home game in the playoffs.
- Byron 15 Austin 0
- Kasson-Mantorville 4 Red Wing 2 (KoMets play Bears for Berth into 5/31 Semifinal game in Austin)
- Zumbrota-Mazeppa 9 Blooming Prairie 1 (ZM and DE title game 5pm Thurs. in Pine Island)
- Dover-Eyota 7 Cannon Falls 5 (#2 seed Bombers see Blooming Prairie 5pm Thurs in Pine Island)
- St. Charles 4 LaCrescent 3 (SC vs Cotter 4:30 p.m. in St. Charles Thurs)
- Cotter/Hope Lutheran 4 Caledonia 2 (LaCrescent and Caledonia collide 4:30 in St. Charles Thurs.)
- Farmington 13 Rochester John Marshall 0 (Farmington vs Lakeville North 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Austin. Winner advances to 5/30 Semifinal at Todd Parl)
- Lakeville North 8 Northfield 3 (Northfield plays JM 3:30 p.m. Thur. in Austin)
- Owatonna 10 Rochester Mayo 0 (Huskies play Century 3:30 Thur in Austin. Winner advances to 5/30 Semifinal at Todd Park)
- Rochester Century 1 Lakeville South 0 (South plays Mayo 3:30 Thur. in Austin)
- Tri-City United 10 Waseca 3 (TCU plays at New Ulm 5 p.m, Thur)
- LeSeuer-Henderson 15 Sibley East 0 (LH hosts LCWM 5 Thur.)
- Lake Crystal-Wellcome Memorial 12 St.Clair/Loyola 0
- Medford 5 NRHEG 4 (Medford at Fairmont 5 p.m. Thur.)
- St. James 7 Maple River 2
Section 2AAA: Begins competition Thursday, May 25, 2023 at Caswell Park North Mankato
- #1 seed Mankato East vs. #8 Worthington 5:00 p.m.
- #4 seed Marshall vs. #5 St. Peter 5:00 p.m. (Winners play 7:00 p.m.)
- #2 seed Mankato West vs. #7 Jordan 5:00 p.m.
- #3 seed New Prague vs. #6 Albert Lea 5:00 p.m. (Winners play 7
- Losers also play 7 in North Mankato
- Rosemount 10 Apple Valley 0 (Irish host Raptors 4:30 p.m. Thur.)
- East Ridge 1 Eagan 0 (Eagan hosts AV 4:30 p.m. Thur.)
- Eastview 3 Burnsville 2 (East. travels to Park 4:30 p.m. Thur.)
- Park of Cottage Grove 4 Hastings 3 (Raiders at Blaze 4:30 Thur.)
Billy Joel's New York Home For Sale