It’s Fish Fry Season – One of the Best Things During Lent
In order to be 100% truthful, I am not Catholic, so I don't participate in the Lenten tradition of giving up meat on Fridays. In fact, I have zero plans to give up anything for Lent, but truly admire those who are able to fast from things during the Lenten season.
With all of that disclosed, I do like the Lenten season, not only for the reflection but also as a reminder that Spring is coming, even this year where the Winter seems never-ending. I also like the fact that it's fish fry season. In Southern Minnesota, you see all of the commercials for fish, and most restaurants offer some type of fish fry on Friday nights. I spoke to a couple of the guys here and was told about some of the different places you can get a good fish dinner on Fridays.
In no particular order:
- Knights of Columbus Hall - they have fish frys every Friday night during Lent, and they usually benefit a local group or charity
- The Kernel Restaurant - a local restaurant that has been mentioned several times as one of the best places to eat in Minnesota has a Friday fish special
- Culver's in Owatonna - They serve up fish year round, but, during Lent they have an amazing Walleye dinner
- Torey's - they may have moved, but, the food hasn't changed, offering up some great fish and seafood options for any night, not just Fridays.
- Hy-Vee in Owatonna - They have fish specials in their deli department every Friday
I know I am missing out on some other great places to get an amazing fish dinner or good old-fashioned all-you-can-eat fish fry. Let us know your favorite place to get fish here in Southern Minnesota.