Faribault House Fire Kills Multiple Pets
Faribault Fire Chief Dustin Dienst issued a News Release Wednesday saying at 8:13 a.m. on February 20, 2019, the Faribault Fire Department, Faribault Police Department, and North Memorial Ambulance were all dispatched to a house fire at 1104 Central Avenue in Faribault.
"Black smoke was coming out of the back door that was left open by the home owner as he tried to make entry to save his pets. There were no people inside the home but many pets were. Two dogs and three cats perished from the heat and smoke produced by the fire. Other pets were removed from the home and returned to the homeowner. The Faribault Police Department did transport a couple animals to a vet for treatment."
Chief Dienst added, "Fire crews made a quick knock down of the fire and spent some time rescuing the many pets that resided at the home. The fire started in the kitchen and found its way into a small void above the ceiling that made it up a pantry and a covered entryway."
The Faribault Fire Department did an on scene investigation and determined the fire started on the cook top area of a gas stove in the kitchen. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was contacted and an investigator did respond to verify the fire department findings.
Fire Chief Dustin Dienst commented, “Any loss of life in a fire makes a bad situation even more tragic. Quick thinking by the homeowner to call 911 saved many other pets lives.”