Sobieski Wins Class C Title in Extra Innings Over Watertown
The Class C Minnesota State Amateur Baseball Tournament Title game was a nail biter in every sense of the word. The Sobieski Skis and Watertown Red Devils went through 10 innings without scoring.
Skis draftee pitcher Caleb Strack (Randall Cubs) went the distance in the 3-0 victory allowing 7 hits, 3 walks, 10 strikeouts.
Red Devils draftee Adam Prehn (Plato Blue Jays) pitched into the 11th inning allowing 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts. Patrick Tschida finished the game allowing 2 hits, 1 run with 1 strikeout.
The hitting stars for Sobieski were Collin Eckman with an RBI single, sacrifice bunt and run scored. Riley Hirsch had two hits. Ben Hanowski clubbed a RBI double and Scott Lichty hit a single and executed a sacrifice bunt with Beau Hasnowski scoring after walking to gain the basepaths.
Watertown was led at the plate by Ben Smith and Nick Tucke with 2 hits each. Jake Anderly smacked a double.
It's the Skis second title. They won in 2014 defeating Faribault on the final weekend en route to that championship.
Sobieski draftee Caleb Strack (Randall Cubs) was named the Fred Roufs Most Valuable Player of the tournament. Take a look at these impressive results:
- Opening game vs. Windom won 2-0, Strack 9 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 4 BB, 17 K
- Isanti next 6-5 win Strack 6 IP, 4 hits, 3 R, 2 earned, 4 BB, 5K
- Dumont 5-0 win Strack 9 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 3 BB, 11 K
- Watertown 3-0 win Strack 11 IP, 7 hits, 0 runs, 3 BB, 10 K
- Strack Tournament Totals 4-0 record, 35 IP, 14 hits, 3 R 2 earned, 14 BB, 43 K
The Skis only used draftees on the mound throughout their run to the title. Here are the other two game results when Strack was rested.
- Sartell 5-1 win Chad Weiss (Pierz Lakers) 9 IP, 8 hits, 1 R, 0 BB, 7 K
- Weiss had a save in the Isanti victory 3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 earned, 0 BB, 2 K
- Alexandria 9-6 win Ethan Branum (Fort Ripley Rebels) 8 2/3 IP, 12 hits, 6 R, 4 earned, 0 BB, 10 K
- Weiss got the save in the Alexandria win 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Other Class C State Tournament Awards:
- Mike Davison Outstanding Pitcher David Deminsky of Sartell 3-0 record, 0 ERA, 24IP, 42 K, had a no-hitter.
- Max Bat Silver Slugger Award Travis Krueger of Alexandria .389 batting average, 3 HR, 10 RBI
- Jiim Brennan Sportsmanship Trophy awarded to Luxemburg Brewers (Faribault Lakers won the award in 2014)
The State Class B and Class C Tournaments will be in Faribault, Dundas and Miesville next summer.
It's never to early to plan your retirement.
KEEP READING: Here are the best places to retire in America
This should say the person with the most money in each state. It does not necessarily equate to the richest person. Do you agree?
KEEP READING: See the richest person in every state