Owatonna Library to Reopen on Limited Basis
You will be able to go into the Owatonna Library to browse or use the computers beginning Monday, September 28. But you must have an appointment. A special phone number is available to reserve a time. Call 507-774-7006.
A recent news release from the library stated, "Appointments will be offered during the same times OPL offers no-contact pickup of library materials. This service, and the new appointments, will be scheduled 12 - 4 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and 4 - 6 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Those coming for no-contact pickup will not be allowed to stay in the building unless they have also made an appointment."
Library Director Mark Blando said, "OPL staff continue to adapt our services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, with an emphasis on this safety of our staff and patrons. Keep in mind, an in-person visit to the library will look and feel different while the need for physical distancing continues."
A few of the specifics of an announcement on the City of Owatonna website include the following
- Appointments begin at the top of each hour.
- Time expires fifteen before the top of the next hour.
- Masks are required. The library has extra if you forget yours.
- A 'browsing' appointment does not allow for you to use a computer.
- Self-checkout is encouraged.
- One appointment per person per week.
- Strict limit of 30 people in the building at any one time.
- Those age 16-and-under need a parent or guardian to enter the library.
- No headphones are provided for computer use. Though you may bring your own.
Available appointment times:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 12 pm, 1 pm, 2 pm, and 3 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday at 4 pm and 5 pm
- Each appointment lasts a maximum of 45 minutes.
Blando went on to say, "A full 45 minutes is not guaranteed; if the patron arrives five or ten minutes after the hour, the appointment will still end promptly at 15 minutes prior to the next hour."
The release indicates, "Staff will use the final quarter of each hour to clean and sanitize computers and checkout areas." The number to call to make an appointment is 507-774-7006. Leave your name and number and a staff member will return your call.