North Morristown Celebration Grounds Hit with Two Inch Rain
The Trinity Lutheran Church and School grounds which are home to the North Morristown 4th of July Celebration were deluged this afternoon. There are places on the ground where the water was ankle deep. Event Chair Andrew Wagner told KDHL the 127th annual event will go on as scheduled but people might have walk a little more than usual.
There will be no vehicles allowed on the immediate grounds that have the various stands, stage and gazebo. Cars will have to park on the road. There will be some golf carts shuttling the elderly to the grounds. Handicapped parking will be in the Trinity Lutheran Church parking lot.
There are a couple of fields higher than the Celebration grounds where 4 wheel drive vehicles will be allowed to park. Wagner asks people to, "Please listen to the individuals directing the parking. Don't try to go where we don't want people to go. If cars park in a field and get stuck then they will have to pay to get out."
I stopped by the grounds a couple hours after the approximately two inch downpour, which the guys working to soak up all the water said came down in approximately a half hour.
It is recommended you do not wear a good pair of shoes. They are likely to get muddy.
All the activities are still planned starting with the Silent Auction from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Other events include:
- 9:45 a.m. Flag Raising ceremony by American Legion
- 10:00 a.m. Parade and Kiddie Parade with the traditional Candy Shack at the end distributing lots of candy
- Medallion Hunt first clue is read at 11:00 a.m. with clues given out every hour. If you find it make sure you are wearing a button because you receive $100. The prize is $25 if you turn the Medallion in with no button.
- Please purchase a button for $2. It helps cover the cost of the top notch musical entertainment so proceeds can go to Trinity Lutheran School in North Morristown.
- There are games for kids, homemade pies, ice cream, hot popcorn with real butter if you desire, burgers, cheeseburgers, fries or onion rings, lemonade made from freshly squeezed lemons, pulled pork sandwiches, walking tacos.
- Noon to 4:00 p.m. Jolly Huntsman Band in the Beer Garden
- Noon there is a Horseshoe Tournament
- 12:30 p.m. Potluck String Band
- 1:30 p.m. Monroe Crossing
- 2:30 Bingo begins
- 3:00 p.m. Potluck String Band
- 4:00 p.m. Monroe Crossing
- 5:00 p.m. Tony Rook Bluegrass Band
- 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. Red Dirt Road Band
- 10:00 p.m. Gigantic Fireworks
Directions available at www.trinitynorthmorristown.org.
It's easy to go there. From Faribault take Highway 60 West toward Morristown and just a few miles outside of Faribault go on County Road 12 which winds around Cannon Lake. You will turn right to continue on County Road 12. That goes to a turnoff to the left marked with signage to Trinity Lutheran Church. There traditionally has been signs put up directing the way.