Love Camping? Check Out These Top Campgrounds in Southeast Minnesota
My kids love camping! One of my kids just got back from a campout in a yurt and my daughter has even gone backpacking at Isle Royale National Park. We even had an adventure as a family and did a little bit of glamping in California. Locally though, we don't really know the best camping spots so I asked around to get a few recommendations, and below are some of the top picks for the area from our listeners and fans of Y-105FM and Jessica On The Radio.
Top 5 Places To Camp In Southeast Minnesota
- Ok, this isn't really a valid campground or one that is AAA approved, but it did come up on the list.
Whitewater State Park Campground
- According to Explore Minnesota, you'll enjoy excellent trout fishing in the spring-fed Whitewater River and in the Trout Run Creek. This area also features six scenic overlooks.
- 19041 MN-74, Altura, MN 55910 (Get Directions)
- Learn more at the Whitewater State Park website
Money Creek Haven in Houston, Minnesota
- According to their website, this is the most secluded spot in Southeast Minnesota, so if you are looking for that, this is a winner. I checked out their website and there are cabins you can rent, and there are a lot of fun, outdoor activities on site too.
- 18502 County Rd 26, Houston, MN (Get Directions)
- Learn more at their website: Money Creek Haven
Rochester/Marion KOA Journey
- According to the campground, this "is the perfect country quiet setting campground with no planes or trains! Sit by your campfire and enjoy the beautiful, peaceful country setting."
- 5232 65th Ave. SE (Get Directions)
- Check their website for booking info: Rochester/Marion KOA Journey
Lazy D Campground in Altura, MN
- Whitewater Valley is a gorgeous area and if you want to enjoy the outdoors by a trout stream, this is the place. The pictures on their website show horses, canoes, and a lot of fishing.
- 18748 Co Hwy 39, Altura, MN (Get Directions)
- Ready to book your site? Here is their website: Lazy D Campground
Old Barn Resort in Preston, MN
- This is one that I've actually been to...not to camp...but to drop off my kids to go camping with their grandparents. This is one of my favorite areas though because of the rolling hills and all of the fun nearby. The trail to get to Lanesboro is nearby and you can go tubing, golfing, and so much more in this area of Minnesota.
- 24461 Heron Rd, Preston, MN (Get Directions)
- Explore this campground at this website: Old Barn Resort
...and the number one pick by the fans was...(drum roll)
Eagle Cliff Campground and Lodging in Lanesboro, MN
- This is another great location in Southeast Minnesota and on the website, it states "naturally mosquito free" and restrooms that are clean. Not sure how you eliminate mosquitos in Minnesota but if that is true, count me in!
- 35455 MN-16, Lanesboro, MN (Get Directions)
- If you are ready to go camping here, check out their website: Eagle Cliff Campground and Lodging
What's your favorite camping spot in Southeast Minnesota?
If camping is one of your favorite things, I'd love to know your best spots. Send me a message on my Facebook page (click here) or DM me on Instagram or just click below.