Dogs are truly man's best friend. This is just another shining example of how our furry friends can bring so much to our lives.

Get our free mobile app

According to KWWL, the Harberts in Ankeny, Iowa have their dog Roxy to thank for why they are alive today. Brad Harbert told reporters that Roxy, who is usually a "mild-mannered" dog was acting differently on the night of December 13. He said she was "active" and that she was jumping up and down on the bed. Then the carbon monoxide detector in the house went off. Harbert immediately jumped out of bed while Roxy went straight to Harbert's son's bedroom door and started scratching at it. Harbert gathered his family (that includes Roxy) and got out of the home safely.

It's a good thing too because the report states that there was a leak in the fireplace. Thank goodness for Roxy and her sensitive snout. She was able to sniff out the odorless gas and protect her family from harm. There are also carbon monoxide detectors to thank. Make sure you've replaced the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It's better to be safe than sorry. Maybe even get a dog, just look how cute she is.

You can keep up with the latest local news and more with the app! Download it here, and never miss out on what's happening in the area.

Iowans Celebrate National Dog Day 2021

No Squirrel Monkey for You, Bub! These Animals Are ILLEGAL in Iowa

Don't even think about bringing home a cute baby elephant next time you're on safari! It's a NO GO in Iowa! (Duh?)

More From KRFO-AM