Boosting Music Throughout Owatonna Schools
No one will mind if you are still wearing your purple Vikings' gear as you rush from a football-watching party to help support the Music Boosters of Owatonna. This annual fundraising auction and concert is Saturday, January 11 at the OHS auditorium. A silent auction begins at 6 pm with the concert starting at 7 pm. Tickets will be available at the door. It's $10 for adults and just $5 for students.
During the holiday concert in December, Symphony Orchestra director Sandra L. Justice said the Music Boosters, "support music K-12 in our district. It's not just the high school that benefits. It's the elementary schools, middle school, the high school. All music education in all of Owatonna does benefit from this organization."
Currently MBO is working on a purchase of a new grand harp, which thrills Justice. "They've also helped us purchase things like stands, chairs, the grand piano you about to see on this stage. They bought a world percussion kit for one of our elementary schools last year...Your money does go to a great use."
On the Music Boosters of Owatonna website, they state their mission "to support and advocate for music and music education as essential to the lifelong learning of our students and community."
There was no mention of a Gjallarhorn during the December concert, however.
Other dates for Owatonna musicians include
- Friday, January 31, OHS Concert Choir & The Singers concert, 7:30 pm
- Tuesday, February 4, OHS Concert Band & Concordia College Band, 7 pm at St. John Lutheran Church
- Sunday, February 9, OHS Concert Band at wind ensemble joint concert, Farmington High School, 3 pm
- Monday, March 2, OMS Chamber Orchestra & all OHS orchestras concert, 7 pm
- Thursday, March 12, all-city elementary & all OHS choir concert, 7 pm
- Sunday, March 15, OHS Concert Band & Luther College band, 3 pm
- Monday, March 16, OHS Huskies & Varsity Bands concert, 7 pm
For more information, visit www.mbowatonna.org.