Randolph Boys Win Physical Game with Hayfield
Fans were treated to a terrific high school basketball game in Randolph Saturday night with the Rockets hitting free throws down the stretch to defeat Hayfield 81-75. The Vikings led at the half 40-35 and had a 10 point lead in the firsts half. The Rockets turned five consecutive turnovers by the Vikings to start the second half into layups and it was back and forth most of the rest of the way.
With 2:07 to go the game was tied at 71. There were 13 lead changes in the second half and 18 total in the game. The two teams were tied five times. Hayfield hit 13 three point baskets and Randolph 9 threes in the game. Vikings senior point guard 6'6 Mason Tapp finished with 22 points. He had five three point baskets. Carsyn Gunderson led the Rockets with 26 points and collected six three point baskets.
Hayfield had five guys in double figures and Randolph four. The Vikings were 12 of 15 from the free throw line and the Rockets 12 of 17. My unofficial statistics had Hayfield with 12 turnovers and Randolph scoring 13 points while the Rockets committed 10 turnovers and the Vikings had 5 points off those miscues.
Randolph picked up their 12th straight win and are 18-1 while Hayfield dropped their second straight and are now 15-4. The two teams are in the same section so they could see each other again in Rochester.
The Hayfield girls ran away from Randolph 88-38. The Lady Vikings got a school record performance from senior 5'5 Emma Holst, finishing with 44 points while connecting on 11 three point baskets in the game. That's the second most three point baskets in a game in girls basketball state history. Holst's records were points in a game and threes in a game. The previous record for points in Hayfield girls basketball was 34 by Marsha Behrens. Hayfield tied their record for total three point baskets in a game with 17. The state record is 23 by Waconia in 2014.
Other Saturday boys scores:
- Goodhue 56 Kenyon-Wanamingo 26
- Marshall 69 Faribault 57
- Schaeffer Academy 62 Houston 59
- Mankato East 66 Mahtomedi 64
- Farmington 72 Woodbury 70
- White Bear Lake 71 New Prague 60
- Minnehaha Academy 81 Austin 61
- Mayer Lutheran 78 Cleveland 43
- Stewartville 64 Albert Lea 39
- LaCrescent 78 Onalaska Luther Wi. 51
- Jordan 74 Rockford 49
- St. Croix Lutheran 90 St. Charles 83
- Lake City 61 Pine Island 49
Girls basketball scores from Saturday:
- Mayer Lutheran 70 Cleveland 53
- White Bear Lake 50 New Prague 46
- LeSueur-Henderson 74 Nicollet/Loyola 48
- Jordan 63 Rockford 47
- Wayzata 78 Lakeville North 48
- Northfield 56 Big Lake 53
- Stewartville 85 Chatfield 35
- Caledonia 57 Osage, Iowa 54
- Rochester Lourdes 65 Dover-Eyota 56
- Lake City 75 Pine Island 43
- Lewiston-Altura 59 Wabasha-Kellogg 46
- St. Charles 76 Southland 63