Prince’s Iconic “Blue Angel” Guitar Is Up For Auction
You have a shot at owning not only a piece of Prince history but Rock N' Roll history!
The "Blue Angel", which is one of four 'Cloud' guitars built during the "Purple Rain" era, is set to go up for auction next month according to a release from Julien's Auctions of Beverly Hills. This guitar was painted a lighter blue/teal finish which is why it was given the nickname of "Blue Angel". According to Julien's Auctions experts, this one of a kind piece of history has a very good track record of use by Prince which include:
- The guitar was created for and used throughout the Purple Rain Tour (1984-1985)
- Used throughout the Parade Tour (1986)
- Used throughout the Sign o' The Times Tour (1987)
- Appeared in the 1987 music documentary "Sign o' The Times" and it is featured on the poster for the film
- It is the primary guitar Prince used throughout the Lovesexy Tour (1988-1989)
- Prince played this guitar on September 24, 1989 when he appeared on the Saturday Night Live 15th Anniversary Special and performed "Electric Chair." The guitar featured Batman fingerboard decals at that time.
- Appeared on September 1991 Spin magazine cover, a copy of the magazine is included with this lot.
- Used at the September 5, 1991 MTV Video Music Awards when he performed “Get Off.”
- September 9, 1991 Prince appeared on the Arsenio Hall show for a now legendary performance of five songs on stage for over 20 minutes throughout the show. He played this guitar for the opener "Let’s Go Crazy," "Cream," and "Purple Rain"
- Used in the music videos for "Get Off" and "Cream"
- Used throughout the Diamonds and Pearls Tour (1992)
This guitar, which was once thought to have been lost, ended up in a private collection to an owner whose identity remains unknown according to Bring Me The News. It is expected that the "Blue Angel" will sell for upwards of $500,000. The auction is slated to begin June 19th and 20th at Julien's "Music Icons" event.
Minnesota Musicians Who Have Made An Impact