Police Say Furnace Killed Seven Minnesota Family Members
Moorhead, MN (KROC AM News) - Police in Moorhead, Minnesota now say it was the furnace that killed seven people last month.
The seven family members were found dead in their home on Dec. 18th. The victims ranged in age from five to 37.
Police said blood test results “listed a lethal level of carbon monoxide toxicity in the victims.”
Carbon monoxide was not detected in the home when the victims were found. Investigators found two possible sources of the deadly gas - the home’s furnace that was located in a separate room inside the garage area and a vehicle in the garage.
At the time, police said experts checked the furnace and found it was not the source. Additional testing was conducted and police on Monday reported the source of the CO was NOT the vehicle.
Police said a carbon monoxide detector was found in a laundry room cabinet and its battery had been removed. The sensors that were inside the home were smoke-only detection devices.
The Moorhead PD says it “has now concluded its investigation."
A GoFundMe site was set up for the victims.