Minnesota Lottery: Powerball Climbs to $1.2 Billion
The Powerball jackpot has climbed to its second highest total ever, and its just the second time in the game's 30 year history that the jackpot has reached a billion dollars. The Powerball has now gone 38 straight drawings without anyone claiming the jackpot.
No one matched all six numbers in Monday's Powerball drawing, increasing the jackpot to at least $1,200,000,000 for Wednesday night's drawing. Tonight's Mega Millions jackpot is an estimated $87 million dollars.
Ten tickets did match enough numbers to win a million dollars last night.
The winning Powerball numbers drawn Monday were: 13-19-36-39-59, Powerball: 13.
A basic Powerball ticket costs $2, and to claim the big prize you'll need to match five numbers (1-69), plus the Powerball (1-26). The odds? 1 in 292,301,388. Assuming you win the Powerball jackpot Saturday, you can choose to take the lump-sum cash option and take home $497 million.
In April a Mega Millions ticket sold in Ramsey, Minnesota matched all numbers for a $106 million dollar payday. It was the first Mega Millions jackpot winner in the state.
The 10 Biggest Lottery Jackpots in U.S. History
- $1.586 Billion (Powerball) January 2016 - Split between three winners.
- $1.537 Billion (Mega Millions) October 2018 - One winner.
- $1.337 Billion (Mega Millions) July 2022 - One winner
- $768.4 Million (Powerball) March 2019 - One winner.
- $758.7 Million (Powerball) August 2017 - One winner.
- $656 Million (Mega Millions) March 2012 - Split between five winners.
- $648 Million (Mega Millions) December 2013 - Split between two winners.
- $590.5 Million (Powerball) May 2013 - One winner.
- $587.5 Million (Powerball) November 2012 - Split between two winners.
- $564 Million (Powerball) February 2013 - Split between three winners.
According to the Powerball website, Minnesota has had four grand prize jackpot winners in the past two years. In November of 2016 Michael Hawes was a winner, splitting $44.3 million. Paul Rosenau won in May of 2008, splitting an $88 million prize. In August of 2011 Thomas Morris came up big, splitting a $123.6 million jackpot. And in August of 2013 Paul White split a big $253.1 million prize.
Powerball drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday night. Mega Millions drawings are held Tuesday and Friday nights. Good luck!