Fire Weather Warning Issued for This Afternoon
The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning for extreme fire weather conditions for most of southern Minnesota Sunday afternoon, including Rice and Steele counties.
The most critical fire weather conditions expected along the Minnesota River from west central into south central Minnesota.
The Red Flag Warning is in effect from noon Sunday through 6 pm Sunday evening.
High winds, low humidity, and dry conditions will combine to create conditions susceptible to fire. Any fires in natural vegetation will spread rapidly given the strong winds, low humidity, and dry vegetation.
A very dry airmass moving in will allow for very low humidity values, as low as 15% possible. Wind gusts near 50 mph are are also possible.
- Properly discard cigarettes.
- Keep vehicles off dry grass.
- Avoid activities with open flames or sparks.
- Avoid power equipment that creates sparks.
- Obey burn bans.
- Evacuate if fire/smoke is headed your way.
- Evacuate if ordered to do so by local officials.