Red Cross Announces Emergency Blood Shortage in Minnesota
The American Red Cross is issuing an emergency call for blood as we are in the midst of a severe winter blood shortage. Nearly 100 blood drives were forced to cancel in December due to the severe weather. This resulted in more than 3,100 blood donations going uncollected. In all, the Red Cross reports about 37,000 few donations in November and December.
As a result, the Red Cross is extending hours at many donation sites for more donors to give blood. They have added nearly 200 hours to community blood drives across the country the next few weeks.
Upcoming blood drives in the area include:
- Owatonna Hospital on January 6 from 11AM to 5PM
- St. Joseph's Church in Owatonna on January 9 from 12-6PM and January 10 from 8AM to 1PM
- Dodge Center American Legion on January 5 from 1-7PM
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Hayfield on January 6 from 11AM to 5PM
- Faribault American Legion on January 9 from 12:30-6:30PM and the Faribault Hy-Vee on January 13 from 9AM to 3PM.