Cannon Falls Girls Wins Foul Fest with Kenyon-Wanamingo
The Cannon Falls Bombers girls basketball team outscored Kenyon-Wanamingo 21-10 at the free throw line and turned late Knights turnovers into points in a 55-48 win in the Hangar Thursday night. The two teams traded leads throughout the game. Both teams were very cold from the field in the first half. A 9-1 advantage at the free throw line gave the Bombers a 18-17 lead at halftime.
The final free throw totals were the difference in the game. Cannon Falls was 21 of 35 and Kenyon-Wanamingo 10 for 20 from the charity stripe. The Knights led late in the game but the Bombers scored 7 points off three turnovers in the final few minutes to secure the victory. For a period in the second half sophomore Mikayla Bowen took over the game and finished with 19 points. Classmate Belle Freeberg put on a free throw shooting clinic finishing with 19 points also. Freeberg was 12 of 13 from the free throw line.
The Knights were led by Julianna Boyum with 17 points, Riley Dummer had 14 of her 16 points in the second half and Megan Mattson added 11 points. The trio were our Held Bus Service Knights of the game. Five Kenyon-Wanamingo players scored, 8 Bombers had points.
Another difference in the game came in the turnover department with the Knights committing 17 turnovers and the Bombers 12. Cannon Falls is 3-2 overall and 1-1 in the HVL and Kenyon-Wanamingo falls to 0-4 in league play, 1-5 overall. The Knights play in the HVL vs Three Rivers Conference Showdown at the Mayo Civic Center Saturday at 2:15 p.m. against Southland. The Bombers are off until Tuesday when they travel to Triton.
In other girls basketball Thursday:
- Goodhue 66 Triton 51 (Kate Opsahl 20 points, Ariana Thomforde 11, Joslyn Carlson 10 for Goodhue. Kendra Petersohn 24 points for Triton.)
- Rochester Lourdes 69 Pine Island 45 (Alyssa Ustby 21 points for Lourdes, Alexandra Larson 17 points for Pine Island.)
- Lakeville North 56 Lakeville South 55
- Tri-City United 51 Southwest Christian 40
- Chaska 62 New Prague 38
- Alden-Conger/Glenville-Emmons 57 Madelia 22
- Rosemount 66 Academy of Holy Angels 58
- Shakopee 57 Bloomington Kennedy 55
- Eastview 56 St. Michael Albertville 48
- Mayer Lutheran 55 LeSueur-Henderson 55-38
- Norwood-Young America 83 Belle Plaine 66
- Jordan 75 Sibley East 51