Tips to Keep Warm This Weekend
The bottom is going to drop out with the temps struggling to reach even double digits above zero through the weekend. Add in any wind at all, and it's going to feel "stupid cold." Now we are in Minnesota, and since we are the nation's icebox, we do know how to deal with the cold. Still, it's not a bad idea to remind ourselves of these tips, and share them with people who may not be familiar with how cold it really gets here.
- Layers are your friend. Dress in layers, you can always add more layers the colder it gets.
- Eat and drink warm foods and beverages. This is comfort food season, a nice pot of soup or chili going will not only smell good but also keep you warm while eating it.
- Watch out for those space heaters; they can cause fires so keep anything flammable at least 3 feet away from them. Another good rule is to not use them unattended, if you are not in the room, turn it off.
- Have an emergency kit in your car, with extra blankets, etc, just in case you are stranded.
- Your fur-babies, have a space for them to go to, especially if they are indoor/outdoor pets. Some dog breeds love the Winter weather, they should still have a warm place out of the wind, to go to with fresh water.
- Wear a hat, gloves, extra socks, scarves, anything to protect your extremities from frostbite.
Above all, be careful if you need to be outside for any extended time period this weekend. You can read more tips here to keep safe during the bitter cold. Stay safe out there this weekend. As for me, I'll be spending my weekend inside, working on crafts or reading.