Gophers Edge Huskies 1-0 In Friday Sports Recap
WOMEN’S COLLEGE HOCKEY:
- It was a defensive in-state battle as the University of Minnesota edged St. Cloud State 1-0. After a scoreless first period, St. Cloud’s Maddy Peterson would get a tripping penalty and the Gophers' Abbey Murphy would take advantage and score the power play goal about mid-way through the second. Skylar Vetter would do the rest stopping all 24 shots she would face for Minnesota. The two teams will have a rematch on Saturday.
-- For the sixth time this year St. Ben’s scored 5 goals in a game and shut out St. Olaf 5-0. Ava Stinnett led the Bennies with 2 goals. Kate Moffat recorded her third shutout of the season making 27 saves, and it was a team record 6th shutout this season. The two teams wrap up their weekend series on Saturday.
MEN’S COLLEGE HOCKEY:
-- The Gophers shut out Penn State 3-0 in game one of their two-game series. Rhett Pitlick scored on Minnesota’s first two shots less than three minutes apart and that would prove to be enough. The score would stay 2-0 until the third period when Connor Kurth would net the Gophers’ final goal. Justen Close was outstanding in goal for the Maroon and Gold stopping all 36 shots.
--Five different players would get scores as St. Cloud State downed Miami University (Ohio) 5-2 on Friday. The Huskies got goals from Jack Peart, Zach Okabe, Dylan Anhorn, Barrett Hall, and Cooper Wylie in the win. SCSU is 13-9-5 overall and 9-4-4 in the NCHC.
-- St. John’s closed out the regular season with a rough loss to St. Olaf on Friday losing 7-1. Garrett Smith scored the Johnnies' only goal in the second period. St. John’s finishes the regular season at 9-12-4 and 6-9-1 in the MIAC. The Johnnies will find out their postseason fate after a week off as the rest of the conference will wrap up next weekend.
--The Granite City Lumberjacks beat the Rochester Grizzlies 3-1 on Friday. Parker Dunaiski, Parker Comstock, and Joe Greniuk scored for the Jacks. They take on Rochester again on Saturday.
-- The St. Cloud Norsemen needed overtime but were able to pull out a 2-1 win over the Austin Bruins on Friday. Hagen Moe scored the game-winner, and Michael Coleman netted the other goal for the Norsemen in the win.
READ MORE FROM AUTHOR PAUL HABSTRITT:
- Rocori Dance Team Has Strong Family Ties
- Display Lights Up Holidays In Cold Spring
- Making Connections Name Of The Game For St. John's Prep
- A Novel Idea Develops Into Passion For Retired Teacher
- New Sartell Community Ed Director Brings Diverse Skill Set To Job
- 2024 Opening Still The Goal For New Children's Museum
- Sartell Dance Showcase Packs Them In
Come Visit St. Joseph, Minnesota in Pictures
Restaurants the St. Cloud Area Lost in 2022