Faribault Football Rolls in Homecoming Win over Red Wing
The Faribault Falcon football team plays in four Homecoming football games this season. Friday night they took care of business in their own Homecoming game with a 49-6 victory over the Red Wing Wingers. With the win Faribault improves to 2-4 while Red Wing dropped to 0-6.
It was a dream game for the Falcon coaches because every player got to get in the game in front of their home crowd. 5'7 160 pound senior Oscar Quintero doesn't see a lot of action and always plays with a smile on his face. He had a 30 yard run in the fourth quarter and sophomore Cael Casteel broke off a 53 yard touchdown right after the Quintero dash.
The Falcons won the toss and opted to take the ball to start the game. They went 67 yards on four plays. The first play of the game was a 30 yard pass from senior tailback Mitch Nelson to senior receiver Trey Krannich. Fullback Alex Gardner then had a 13 yard run and Nelson finished the drive with an 11 yard scamper and scored on a 13 yard run. The extra point pass to Demetrius Wood was open but the connection wasn't made. That score came at the 10:45 mark of the first quarter.
Red Wing then marched the ball from their 35 yard line down to about the Faribault 27 before the Falcons stiffened. After pinning the Wingers deep Faribault got the ball on the Red Wing 39 yard line. Two plays later Nelson scored on a 23 yard run and ran in the two point conversion to put the Falcons up 14-0 with 10:38 to go in the half.
Red Wing scored on a 8 yard pass with 6:56 to go in the half and the two point conversion attempt failed.
Faribault then went 79 yards in 8 plays with two long passes by senior quarterback Joe Palmer to Krrannich. On a third down and five Palmer connected with Krannich for 44 yards and the drive was capped by a 32 yard touchdown pass to Krannich that should make the team's highlight reel for the season. I didn't see it from where I sit in the scorer's box but those who did told me it was a great catch of the ball while it was at it's highest point.
My unofficial statistics showed Nelson with 197 yards on 18 carries and 3 touchdowns. Sophomore fullback Alex Gardner had 79 yards on 8 carries and a 17 yard score. Head Coach Ned Louis said after the game he glanced at their statistics and Faribault had about 400 yards rushing.
Joe Palmer was 5 of 7 for 107 yards and a score and Mitch Nelson 1 for 1 for 30 yards so the Falcons were a very efficient 6 of 8 for 137 yards through the air.
The entire first team offense were our Faribault State Farm Insurance Agents Faribault players of the game. The offensive line of Cal Schultz, Chase Kitzman, Jordan Cook, Evan Langar and Kipp Bonde along with tight end Dylan Lippert. Nelson, Gardner, Krannich , wingback Demetrius Wood and Palmer.
The defense did allow a number of yards to Red Wing but only one score. Austin Underdahl and Cade McAdam stood out in my mind defensively.
Senior girls soccer player Samantha Holmberg joined the team just this week and connected on her first extra point try. Holmberg's second attempt was blocked by the Wingers.
We had a quick interview with Homecoming Queen Marta Schonebaum and King Tar Tut. King Tut told us he is hoping to pursue a career in agriculture and Schonebaum wants to major in music but is unsure what that will lead to in terms of a career. She loves playing her violin.
The Falcons travel to Mankato West for their Homecoming next Friday. Coverage on POWER 96, 95.9 FM begins 6:45 p.m. The best way to listen is to download the FREE POWER 96 app.
Other scores Friday night include:
- Mayer Lutheran 20 Faribault Bethlehem Academy 14
- Kenyon-Wanamingo 26 Lester Prairie/Holy Trinity 22
- Cannon Falls 40 Triton 24
- Waterville-Elysian-Morristown 21 LeSueur-Henderson 7
- Northfield 28 Rochester Century 21
- Owatonna 28 Rochester Century 7
- Pine Island 55 Plainview-Elgin-MIllville 41
- Randolph 55 Leroy-Ostrander 22
- Rochester Lourdes 37 Kasson-Mantorville 0
- Rochester John Marshall 45 New Prague 14
- Mankato West 33 Austin 28
- Winona 48 Mankato East 14
- Tri-City United 17 Albert Lea 14
- Goodhue 14 Rushford Peterson 7
- United South Central 22 Fillmore Central 13
- Apple Valley 10 Bloomington Kennedy 0
- Belle Plaine 17 New Ulm 15
- Blooming Prairie 47 Hayfield 7
- Burnsville 55 Farmington 17
- Caledonia 14 Dover-Eyota 0
- Chatfield 18 Lewiston-Altura 13
- Gibbon-Fairfax-Winthrop 50 Lake Crystal-Wellcome Memorial 22
- Grand Meadow 20 Mabel-Canton 6
- Kingsland 33 Winona Cotter 30
- Lakeville North 33 Maple Grove 18
- Lanesboro 41 Lyle/Austin Pacelli 0
- Madelia 28 Granada-Huntley-East Chain/Truman 6
- Minnesota Valley Lutheran 38 Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton 14
- NRHEG 29 Maple River 28
- Nicollet 24 Cleveland 8
- Norwood-Young America 34 Sibley East 0
- Prior Lake 35 Eagan 0
- Rosemount 31 Lakeville South 15
- Southland 21 Wabasha-Kellogg 0
- Spring Grove 35 Houston 14
- St. Charles 48 Zumbrota-Mazeppa 12
- St. Clair 41 Medford 14
- Stewartville 42 La Crescent 7
- Waseca 42 Jordan 15
- Wayzata 17 Eastview 14